Saturday, March 21, 2015

Reflections

Ryan

Hello everyone,

It has been amazing coming back to Ollantaytambo after almost a year and seeing it again. Today we saw the Ollantaytambo ruins and it brought back all of the good memories I have from last year. It's awesome to see my host family and see what has changed for them. Some things are the same like the hotel and the town in general. Though many things are the same, it's amazing to be back, and this time with some of my closest friends. To Mom, Dad, Jack, and Will, I miss you all very much and look forward already to telling you about all the good times I've had. Jack, I'm so sorry that I'm going to miss your birthday and I promise to make it up to you.

Goodbye everyone reading this,

Ryan


McKenna

Dear Friends and Family,

I woke up this morning, walked out of my room and opened my eyes to the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. This was the first moment I truly realized I was no longer home. After taking it all in I walked downstairs to a delicious breakfast. After breakfast I was ready to embark on our first day in Ollantaytambo. First, we visited the most breathtaking ruins. These ruins dated all the way back to the 1300's. It was amazing to learn about this historical civilization. After our hike, we went back to our hotel, about to meet our host family for the first time. I was so excited but a bit nervous to meet my host family. It turns out I was worried for nothing. I have never felt so accepted and happy. I was welcomed into their home with warm hugs and huge smiles. During our meals, lunch and dinner, I was a little intimidated by the language barrier and feared it would interfere with the relationship. Again I was scared for nothing. I soon learned just 5 minutes into our lunch that you don't always need words to communicate. With just a simple smile, I finally felt at home. Later in the day, as a group we went on a scavenger hunt around the town. This was a great way to get to know the town, the people, and speak some Spanish. This experience was so fun. Everyone is so kind and happy. Sitting here, writing home, reflecting back on today's experience it finally hit me that there is so much more to life than I have ever known. Today was so incredible, and it is the first of many. I hope everything is going well at home and I miss and love you all so much.

Love,

McKenna


Maddie

Today was our first full day in Peru. It is so beautiful here. I loved waking up to the mountains with the clouds hanging so close to the ground. In the morning, we went to the Ollantaytambo Sun Temple ruins/ the Inca Town ruins. It was an amazing experience. My favorite part of the day was meeting our host families. I realized that I have to overcome our language barriers. I finally had the chance to practice my Spanish. Even though we didn't speak the same language, we could communicate in other ways. I also had to remember that we all smile in the same language. Smiling is so important. I loved getting to know our host families today. I also got to know some of my classmates better. I had an amazing day today and I can't wait for more great days to come.


Andrew

Hello everyone, Peru is awesome and everyone is super nice and friendly. Everywhere you look could be a picture for a postcard. Today was filled with fun events. We toured the Ollantaytambo Sun temple ruins. It was spectacular; every stone is chiseled perfectly so that it can fit into its spot. When I was walking up the long staircase up the temple it made me more and more excited for Machu Picchu. When the group was walking back to the hostel we were stopped by a lady in the market who asked us if we knew a girl named Audrey, so I said "Audrey is my sister." Then she told me that she was Audrey's host family mother when she went in eighth grade (Picture will be on the next post). Today was such a great experience and I can't wait to see everyone back home. See you soon Mom, Dad, Audrey, Teddy, Oscar and Charlie.


Nelly
Today I got to see my host family for the second year. It was really fun to reunite with everybody, even though some of the people in the family forgot my name. We have only had two meals with them so far, and I already feel like I am at home with them. We are constantly laughing, even if we don't know whether we are are laughing about the same things. After lunch today, we went to the field and played soccer. It was fun working as a team, even though I missed A LOT of goals, I knew they didn't care because we were just having a lot of fun. At dinner, we saw their cousins again and we all played a game of uno that lasted about an hour because everyone kept cheating and it was just really fun. We (me, Max and Lauren) have already grown very close with our family and I am afraid it will be super hard to leave them at the end of the trip. Speaking Spanish with them is sometimes hard but we still have fun. Whenever I don't know what someone says I just say "whaaaaaattt?" and everyone laughs really hard. I miss you guys and love you all. CiaĆ³!!