Saturday, March 28, 2015

Reflections - Saturday

Cristina

Today we spent the day with our host families and it was such a fun day. My host family took Matthew, Grace and me to the ruins where we played Uno. Also, we went to the farm and started to husk the corn which was such a cool experience because I had never done that before. After we left the farm we went to the market and went to a chocolate museum and we were able to try milk chocolate, dark chocolate and white chocolate which was really good. Later today we went back to the house and played volleyball with our host mom at the farm. When we were done playing volleyball we went to feed the bulls, the chickens, the baby chicks and the guinea pigs. After we fed the farm animals we went back to the house and gave the family the presents we got them. I gave the mom an apron and the daughter a Taylor Swift CD. Grace gave the other daughter a scarf and lotion and Matthew gave the dad a chess board and the son a soccer ball. Last but not least, we had tea together and Matthew and the dad played chess. Today was really fun because I defiently got to know my host family a lot better.

Cristina


Lily

We had the opportunity to spend the whole day with our host families.  Today we worked in our family's field for 6 hours! All of the family and extended family was there including their great-grandma.  They all are so close and were so welcoming in sharing their traditions with us. I got to pick potatoes, husk corn, and peel lots and lots of kernels of corn for a big festival in May. Our host mom is going to leave the corn out for the next two months and it will turn into a sacred powder for the festivities. While I was at the farm I developed a newfound appreciation for the food that I so often take for granted.  We had lunch at the farm of all fresh fruits and vegetables that had just been picked.  After that we walked back to the homestay and bought Andrea some ice cream and played "Red Light, Green Light" (except in Spanish) the whole way.  We walked to the market and I had fun hanging out with my homestay.  We finished off this incredible day day with a game of Uno (which I won) and an awesome dinner of chicken and rice.  I am so blessed to have this amazing experience and share it with so many great people.  I can't wait for Machu Picchu tomorrow except I have to wake up at 5:00. Love and miss you all. XOXOXO, Lily


Ryan

Today we spent the entire day with our host families and it was super special. For the first time this entire trip I got to spend time with my entire host family. We started the day by playing giant games of Go Fish, Slap Jack, War, Spoons, and other games. It was difficult to explain all of these games in Spanish but it was very fun to watch Maddie, McKenna, and myself try. After that we went to the market where I bought some things for myself and my family (no spoilers Jack) and when I wasn't looking my host family bought me a pan flute and a keychain of a person playing guitar. We then went to the soccer field and got into a game of soccer that lasted a really long time. We had to rush back to the house, devour our dinner, and run back to the hotel so we wouldn't be late. I had an amazing day with my host family and I got to know them much better.

Ryan


Hannah

Today was the day that we spent the whole time with our host families. It happened to be the day that our host mom and dad had to go to Cusco, which we were kind of bummed out about, but they told us the tia would be coming. When we arrived, there were quite a few kids in the house so we hung out with them (and washed the dog) until the tia came. Around 11:00, a man walked up who was declared "Tio" by the kids. He took us to the stadium and we played soccer for a while before returning to the house. When we got back, Tia had made lunch, so we all had some food before going out again. We went to the market where we met even more extended family- cousins, aunts and uncles. Before we returned to the house for dinner, we stopped by the park to play some basketball with the boys. We had a great time there, then returned to the house to have soup and watch "Buscar a Nemo"- "Finding Nemo!" Even though we weren't with our host parents, we got to meet their amazing extended family which was really awesome. I'm glad we got the chance to get to know such amazing people.


Andersen

Today we spent the whole day with our host families and I'm so glad we did. It let me get to my host family and the other students in my host family so much better. In the morning, we had breakfast, did an activity, and then we all headed to our separate host families. When we (Andrew, Z, and I) got to our host family's house no one was really up except for Pancho, our host father. We played B.S. and Slapjack (I think I'm pretty good or maybe that's just me). Later in the day, we went to our host family's stall in the market and helped out there for a few minutes. Very soon after, one of the host sisters, Andrew, Z, and I went on the Pinkuylluna hike which was so pretty and you could see basically the whole town while walking up to the ruins. After the hike we went back home to eat lunch of soup, rice, chicken, and fries. It was so good! After lunch, we watched TV, got my hair braided by my most mother (for the third time!), and then went on another hike with my host mother and host father. The ruins were very pretty but the way to them looked kind of scary because we had to walk by the bull pastures. They were actually very peaceful! We then had sugar cane and went back home and my host mother went back to the market. We played more cards, watched TV, and then went back to the market to help my host mother close her stall before dinner. When we got back home, Andrew, Z, and I played with my host mother's cousin's baby who is SO cute! He's only eight months old! I'm so glad I got to hang out with my host family all day and I wish I could do it again.


Lauren
Today we spent an entire day with our homestay families (apart from breakfast). It was amazing. We played soccer, went for a hike, played cards, and went to the market. It was really fun. The hike was amazing. At the places that we stopped, you could see the whole town of Ollantaytambo. It was breathtaking. Not only for the views, but also for the enormous amount of steps we had to climb to get there. I don't think I'll ever forget this day. I really got to even further get to know my host family and the day in general was amazing. While we were hiking back down from the ruins, there was a giant cactus. Moises wrote our names in it, and he told us that when we look at the moon in Colorado, we have to remember them and think about them. Even if he hadn't told us to never forget, I don't Think I would have. Today was amazing and I can't believe I got to spend today with them. See you soon Colorado!