Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Katie Rand

It's hard to believe, but our incredible journey has reached the halfway point. One of my favorite additions to the World Leadership School curriculum has been having leaders of the day who are responsible for guiding us throughout our daily activities and leading our ANCHOR discussion at night. The "A" in ANCHOR stands for appreciation, and I have thoroughly enjoyed hearing what our students are appreciative of. With that in mind, here is my list of "appreciations" as I reflect on our first week in Peru.


I appreciate....


The enthusiasm with which these 7th and 8th graders approach each and every activity.


The insightful questions they have asked during tours of ancient Incan ruins, weaving cooperatives, and local health clinics.


The inclusivity this group demonstrates as they open their circles to new friends, both from SMA and Ollantaytambo.


The joy on the faces of kindergarten students as they play with the blocks and puzzles we gave them.


The fact that Mr. Blair and I have heard over and over that this is the best school group the local organizations have seen.


Sunscreen and hats that have prevented all 19 of us from getting sunburned!


Delicious food that has nourished and sustained us through busy days of work and play.


My family, who encouraged my love of travel, insisted I take Spanish class, and made me curious about new cultures.


Our amazing guides... Adela, who worked so hard to prepare for us, who coordinates everything with the host families, and who is our "mom" while we are here, and Johan, who leads us through challenging activities, encourages conversations about local and global issues, and who is with us every step of the way. We are blessed to be in such good hands.


The homestay families who have opened their homes to strangers, for making sure that our students feel welcomed.


My comfortable bed at the Ollantaytambo Lodge.... these days would be tough without a good night's sleep!


Mr. Blair, who is an amazing teammate on this journey. He is organized, thoughtful, and fun, and is becoming a good friend. Oh, and he's the blogger extraordinaire!


SMA for letting me be a part of such an amazing experience for the second year in a row, and my 4/5 teammates who don't blink an eye when I say I'm missing 6 days of school!


The fact that no storming has occurred, emotional or otherwise ("real storms" were a concern for a few students on day one!).


The parents who are sharing their wonderful children with us for 14 days. I'm sure you are missing them (and they are missing you!) but you have provided your kids with the opportunity of a lifetime.


The fact that so many incredible things have already happened.... and that we still have another week ahead of us.


xo Ms. Rand (or Katie, depending on who is reading this)

PS. Happy Birthday Joel!!!