Sunday, March 22, 2015

Reflections - Sunday

Hannah

Last year, I came to Ollantaytambo for the first time. When I found out that I was going to be with the same host family as last year, I was really excited because I had missed them a lot. The first day here in Ollantaytambo was only about half of a day, so we didn't get to see our host families, but the next day we got to see them. The other two people who go to the host family's house with me are Anna Sophia and Gabbi, and the three of us were all with them last year. When we saw our family again, it was so amazing. I had thought I was never going to see our host family again, so when we learned that we were going to be with them this year it was exciting, but it didn't seem as much of a reality until we actually saw them. I'm so glad we get to be with the same amazing family as last year.



Cristina

Being a 7th grader in such a big group of 8th graders is nerve-racking at first because you don't have a strong relationship with them at school. Even though it's only the second day here in Ollantaytambo I have grown many relationships with many 8th graders either in my homestay family or the team activities that we have done. The team activities are the best ways to build relationships because you don't only work as a team, but as a big family.


Anna Sophia

Today we went to the weaving co-op. The weaving co-op is a place in the mountains with a different culture. The people are super colorful and down to earth. The Patacancha people spend their entire life making things. They weave pouches, scarves, belts, bracelets and a bunch of other things. They never just relax and do nothing, they are always doing something. The people showed us their wool, yarn, dying, etc. We were amazed by how they turned a fluffy ball of wool into a scarf. Then we each went to different ladies to learn how to weave a bracelet. The hardest part was no one knew how to speak their language (Quechua), but I could still understand because of body language. It was hard but fun. The best part of all was seeing that even though they are not as fortunate as us in many ways, they were so happy.


Gabbi

Being here a second time is absolutely wonderful. I get to experience Peru in an entirely different way. I like being in the town again. I know where everything is, which was very helpful in the Scavenger Hunt yesterday and the Inca Challenge Race today. I feel like that it makes me more of a leader to the others who haven't been here before. Also, I am very comfortable with the animals and culture here. It was the most amazing feeling when I saw my host family again. I love them so much. I had brought the boys, Piero and Ian, a small Lego set. It was so cool to sit down with them and build it. They would ask me if they put a piece in the right place, and when I said yes, they would turn around and show their parents excitedly. It is most definitely heartwarming to be back, and the trip has only just begun!


Lauren
Today we went to the weaving co-op and did the "Inca Challenge." It's kind of like the Amazing Race, but it wasn't timed. Basically there were four main challenges that we had to address. Before the real challenges, we had to blow a balloon up really big, and then do a three-legged race, except with five people! Once we finished that we were given the first place to go and a map of the town and where the challenges were. Our group's first challenge was to go to the ruins, specifically the ones on the Pinkuylluna trail. We did a ceremony to say thanks for something in our life. We picked out three cocoa leaves and a grape candy. It was really interesting to learn about the ritual. After we did that, we went to Miss Rand's station. What we had to do there was use a wire pole (there were lefty ones and righty ones) and guide a thin tire. You would push the tire and then guide it. I tried to be a leader by suggesting that those with the lefty poles who were having trouble would cheer and help the people with the righty poles, and then use them after their teammates crossed the finish line. I'm really happy I did that because it worked out really well. We went to Adela's house after that and we got to dance. It was really fun because for like 15 minutes, we just danced around. The mom in my host family was there and it was really fun to do that.The last challenge we did was cooking. We made a dish called Cousa Rellena. It was basically a layer of mashed potatoes, a layer of chicken, a layer of avocado, followed by another layer of mashed potatoes.I really enjoyed this challenge and trying to be a leader today. It keeps getting easier to talk to my host family, even though I don't always understand them. Today was really fun, and I'm really excited for the rest of this trip!