Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Final Monday - Reflections

Gabbi

Last day in the most amazing place. Breaks my heart. It was hard to keep the tears from flowing down my face when we said goodbye to our families. It was really hard for me to say goodbye becasuse last year I thought that I would never see them again, so when I did, it was hard to leave them twice. They will always have a special place in my heart. They loved me like I was their own, they put up with my Spanish mistakes, and they showed me how Christ can work through others. I'm sad to leave. I learned a lot about myself on this trip and I was most definitley humbled that Christ chose me to be His hands and feet. He calls us to care for orphans and widows in need (James 1:27). I wasn't necessarily caring for orphans and widows but I cared for those less fortunate that we are. I feel very blessed that Christ's light was able to shine through me. God has truly impacted me more on this trip. He opened my eyes, my mind, and my heart. I am blessed to have had this experience. I miss you all. See you in a couple of days


Logan

Hey guys, it's our last day in Peru. Tomorrow starts our two-day journey home. Today we completed our service project.  We finished the mural, bookshelves, and the blocks. In the afternoon we had ice cream for the first time in two weeks. We also got to see how they prepared our food which was pretty cool. Also for the first time I got to try guinea pig. It wasn't that great, but it's still pretty cool to eat it. We also had to say goodbye to all of our host families which was pretty sad. Overall this trip has been pretty amazing and I hope some day I can come back.


Matthew

Hey guys, tonight was our last night in Ollantaytambo. Today we finished the final touch-ups on our service project at the school. As a surprise today Adela and the teachers suprised us with ice cream, and it was really good. We also got to see how they prepared our food for the final feast called the Pachamanka. After that we went to the stadium, and we had our final lunch with our homestay families, and it was really good. Finally tonight we had to say our final goodbyes to our homestay families which was really emotional. This trip has just been an amazing, lifechanging, and overwhelming experience. See you when we get back.


Lily

The kids at the school left their tiny handprints all over my heart.  The love I felt in the classroom today was amazing.  I love the kids there and by sharing their joy with me I have learned to share it with others.  As I was surrounded by the little kids hugging and saying goodbye to me I felt so much joy and happiness.  As I walked away from the school I realized that these little kids impacted me more than I could ever impact them.  I hope I have left a mark in their hearts as they have left a huge one in mine.  Then we went to lunch with our host families.  It was so cool to see all of the kids on this trip with their families laughing and talking.  I ate guinea pig and it was so gross.  After that we went to our host families for the last time.  They gave me a beautiful Peruvian baby doll but they gave me so much more than that.  We went to mass at the church and it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.  I could not understand anything he was saying but I felt the love and faith that filled the air.  Saying goodbye to my host family was one of the hardest things ever. I have had so much fun with them and am so grateful that they have welcomed me into their home.  I am so blessed to be on this trip. Thanks for your wonderful notes that brighten my day and I love and miss you all.  Can't wait to see you in a few days. XOXOXO, Lily