Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Reflections - Tuesday

Lily

I am so blessed to be able to go on this trip with so many amazing people in a beautiful place. For the past two days we did the service project at the school in Ollantaytambo.  I was amazed with how all of the kids were so filled with love and joy and were so eager to share it with me.  They helped me with my Spanish and we laughed at my mistakes. Today I was painting a mural outside the new kindergarten classroom.  I was happy to know that I was part of making something beautiful for the kids to look at.  Then we played soccer with all of the kids and I had so much fun laughing and playing with them.  My host family is so welcoming and fun.  I love the food here and the little girl named Andrea is so sweet.  Love and miss you all. XOXOXO, Lily



Logan

So far this trip has been amazing for me. When we got here I thought the mountains were awesome and gigantic. When I met my host family it was really cool. We were greeted by the mom, 4 young girls who were friends and cousins, and the grandpa. The grandpa was a bullfighter and was the mayor of a town. He has a golden key to the city which is very large. Our service project is to help around the kindergarten class. We moved book cases and we painted them, and we also moved shingles for the roof. Today we finished making our baskets. They are really cool but it was hard and took a long time to do it. Today at lunch with my family we had chocolate jello and pop tart looking things. That was my favorite meal so far! Today we also played soccer against some students from Hawaii and we basically crushed them! The grandpa from my family was probably the best soccer player there. Miss you guys.


Nelly

Continuing from my last blog entry, I have gotten even closer with my host family than I was before. We already have some inside jokes with the boys and things that we are laughing at constantly. We have long handshakes and nicknames for each other (mine are Nerry and Nevwy) and I know I am going to miss them A LOT. Today, we were lying in the field and my host brother's best friend said to look up at the moon. He said, "Whenever you are in America and you look up at the moon, you have to remember us," and I know I will. Also, when we are playing soccer with each other, even though they are way better than us, and Luís is basically professional, I know they will still pass to us. They also help us with our Spanish, and in return, we have even been able to teach them a little English. Whenever we see them, they say "sup" and it's hilarious. I'm glad we get to spend so much time with them. This experience is changing my whole perspective of the world in a good way, and I wish everyone had a chance to do something like this at one point in their life. Hope all is well in Denver, love you all.

-Nelly


Lauren

This trip has been so fun so far. The food is amazing. Lunch is the big meal for them. You always start with a soup. There's quinoa soup, potato soup, vegetable soup, and many more. Next, there's the entree. We always have rice. Every single time there's tea as well. I love the chamomile tea. We usually have chicken but, today we had pork. I've loved every meal I've eaten. The chicken is really good because they season it really well and one time they fried it. We have also had fried broccoli. It was interesting. Usually for dinner, we have either a soup or an entree with tea. I loved being one of the leaders of the day today because I enjoyed working hard to make sure that everyone was doing something at the school. Hope all is amazing in Denver!

-Lauren


Max
Peru is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. The mountains are very green and the clouds rise over them in the morning. We get to have lunch and dinner with our homestays every day, and it is very fun. We get to practice our Spanish and eat very good, fresh food. In my homestay, there are two boys, and every day we get to go play soccer with them and their friends. They are really good at it. Today we got to play soccer against another group of kids that was from Hawaii, and yes, we beat them. Miss you guys, see you in a week!